Door requirements for Controlled Drugs/Precursor Chemicals licensed premises
As one of the UK’s leading security door companies for commercial and residential properties, we have recently been working with several Controlled Drug Licensed premises to ensure that they abide by all of the Home Office statutory and regulatory requirements in relation to security for such businesses. More information here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/controlled-drugs-domestic-licences
In addition to adhering to the basic site and building security measures demanded by the Home Office in relation to the location and wider environment, scale of the business, size of premises, staff numbers and amounts of Controlled Drugs (CDs) and Precursor Chemicals (PCs) held on site, we have helped our clients to meet the following by supplying LPS 1175 SR4 external doors:
Door requirements for Controlled Drug Licensed premises stipulate that all external doors and windows are fitted with secure locks. There are also additional requirements for those handling higher risk Controlled Drugs/Precursor Chemicals, including those specifically referenced in the Misuse of Drugs (Safe Custody) Regulations 1973. The Home Office states that all external doors (including fire escape doors) are manufactured to the recommended standard of LPS 1175 SR4.
Types of doors
There are three main types of doors (with LPS or Loss Prevention Standards set out by the Loss Prevention Certification Board) that will enable such premises to meet requirements:
- LPS SR4: ‘Loss Prevention Standard’ SR4 – an SR4 door will withstand an attack using a variety of hand tools for up to 30 minutes
- LPS SR3: ‘Loss Prevention Standard’ SR3 – and SR3 will withstand an attack using a variety of hand tools for up to 15 minutes
- LPS 1175: ‘Loss Prevention Standard’ 1175 focuses on the physical security of ‘intruder resistant building components’ to include items such as strong points, doors, shutters and fencing
All of these doors can be fire rated too for even further protection from intruders or vandalism. We are able to supply and install fire rated doors from FD30 (withstand fire for up to 30 minutes) up to FD60 (withstand fire for up to 60 minutes)
Going above and beyond
As well as covering everything required when it comes to high level security doors, we also have a range of safes and vault doors available that can achieve the standards outlined below:
- A prefabricated strong room (PSR) that has been certified to CEN Grade VI of BS/EN 1143-1
- A safe that has been certified to an appropriate CEN Grade (e.g. I to XIII) of BS/EN 1143-1
- A small safe that has been certified to Grades S1 or S2 of BS/EN 14450
In addition, the recent projects we have completed in this particular field have seen us include certified security shutters and windows, along with secure document window hatches.
Prefabricated strong rooms (PSRs)
Finally, over the last few years, we have designed, built and installed a number of prefabricated strong rooms (PSRs) for both commercial and residential clients.
If you’d like to know more about our wide range of Controlled Drug Licensed premises security products or to arrange a free site visit to discuss your requirements, please feel free to give us a call on Tel: 0207 859 4207 or email: [email protected]